28 Oct #246 – Getting Started #3: Mastering the Big Four (Squat, Press, Bench, Deadlift)
In Getting Started #2, Matt and Scott discussed the big picture of getting strong, which occurs by lifting progressively heavier weights over time. Since this is Barbell Logic, you guessed it… we accomplish this progressive method of strength training using barbells.
Though there are thousands of different exercises we could do in the gym, barbell training comprises just four exercises, the so-called “Big Lifts.” These compound movements — the squat, press, deadlift, and bench press — should make up 90% of any athlete’s strength program, regardless of their level of advancement.
Matt and Scott explain why these lifts are simple, hard, and most importantly, brutally effective at building strength.
Have a question about training? Send a question to Matt and Scott! Email us at email@example.com and we’ll answer your question on an upcoming Saturday Q&A!
- Want to try online coaching for FREE? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a free trial of Barbell Logic Online Coaching. You’ll get feedback on your technique and programming from a Barbell Logic coach, and see what the fuss is all about!
- Do you have trouble with the bar rolling down your back on squats? You need A7’s patented bar grip shirt. Even kyphotic guys like Scott can keep the bar on the back with it. A7 is always rolling out new clothing and gear, too, so head over to their store to see what’s new.
- Need a(nother) lifting belt? Dominion Belts makes the best belts in the business, and Barbell Logic listeners can save $10 off any purchase by using the discount code LOGIC.
Connect With Matt
- Matt on Instagram
- Barbell Logic Online Coaching — Matt’s website
- Matt on Facebook
- Matt on Twitter
Connect With Scott
- Scott on Instagram
- Silver Strength – Scott’s website
- Scott on Facebook
- Scott on Twitter
Connect With the Show
- Barbell Logic on Twitter
- Barbell Logic on Instagram
- The Website
- Barbell Logic on Facebook